What is CanTeen?
At CanTeen we believe that young people, through meeting and talking with one another, are better able to cope with the uncertainties of a cancer diagnosis.
A diagnosis of cancer at any time is traumatic, but even more so for a young person - already facing issues of identity, independence, relationships and career. Cancer is not a death sentence, but it can mean the start of a long process of painful treatment and years of uncertainty.
Since its inception, CanTeen has had a clear focus on the needs of young people living with cancer and has demonstrated a commitment to the principle of Member participation in management. This commitment ensures that CanTeen remains true to its mission and continually assesses the needs of the Members.
CanTeen’s vision is to bring together all young people living with cancer.
CanTeen’s mission is to support, develop and empower young people living with cancer.
We support, develop and empower through:
- Respect and integrity - We value the intrinsic worth of each person. We respect individuality and value differences. We are honest and true to others. We don't compromise our values - we act with sincerity and we are true to ourselves.
- Pride and accountability - We seek are committed to excellence in what we do. When we say we will do something, we do it. We take responsibility for outcomes and for our actions and their outcomes.
- Teamwork and inclusiveness - We share the load, and openly communicate by sharing ideas, knowledge, feelings and perceptions.We involve others in what we are doing, to develop and broaden the perspectives of the group, and to achieve stronger outcomes.
- Flexibility and initiative - We commit to new ideas, and we look for reasons to promote them. We create room for innovative thoughts to grow. We learn from our mistakes and our successes.
- Understanding and compassion - We put ourselves in the other's shoes. We are considerate and respectful. We do not seek or provide pity, but on occasion we can support each other by being there.
- Inspiration and encouragement - We realise the potential of ourselves and others. We create a safe and positive environment where, together, we can have a go and face new challenges. Through the strength of others we also grow.
- Positivity and celebration - We continually seek the bright side. We enjoy what we do and the people we do it with. We reflect on our achievements, and we share success