The Now What website is operated by CanTeen, the Australian Organisation for Young People Living with Cancer ABN 77 052 040 516 (CanTeen), which has its National Office at Level 6, 235 Clarence St Sydney NSW 2000.
CanTeen is committed to protecting the privacy of Now What users’ information (personal information) in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)and the National Privacy Principles.
How we collect personal information
You should note that the Now What site is designed to help young people living with cancer connect with each other and to provide them with useful information. In doing this, personal information is collected:
- when people register for email updates and other information in which case an email address is required;
- when people register to become a member of the Now What site, in which case an email address and a password are required; and
- once registered as a member, contributions to the site may contain personal information about the contributor and sometimes other people (provided their consent has been obtained first).
You can browse Now What without having to provide any personal information however, if registration information is not provided we may not be able to provide the services you request effectively or at all.
Why we collect personal information
We collect your personal contact information to register you for the site and to send you information you request. You should note that any information you contribute to the Now What site could be made available to other users, and may be accessible to anyone at anytime if contributed to a public area, or to a member area but subsequently copied by another user. You therefore may not be able to delete the information after you post it, because users may copy it or forward it to others. You should therefore only post information that you (and your parent or guardian if required) are comfortable should be made publicly available. You should not post any information about anyone else without their (or their parent or guardian’s) express consent.
Disclosing your personal information
We may use and disclose personal information to our service providers (for example webhosting companies and mailhouses) and advisers or as otherwise permitted by the Privacy Act including:
- where we believe there is a serious and imminent threat to the life, health or safety of yourself or another person;
- to investigate or report on activity which we believe on may be unlawful;
- if disclosure is required or authorised by law (for example where a regulatory authority has the power to request the provision of certain records or information).
These disclosures may be to organisations overseas where permitted by the Privacy Act.
CanTeen may use and disclose personal information to create aggregate statistics about usage, membership, traffic patterns and other related site information but only where the aggregated information does not personally identify anyone. This is important to ensure that our content and services continue to meet the general needs of our users and members.
If you have any concerns, questions or suggestions in relation to this policy, or would like to access the information we hold about you, please do not hesitate to contact our Now What on (02) 9262 1022. For general information on privacy and the National Privacy Principles, access the government website at www.privacy.gov.au