Romantic relationships when your parent has cancer
- Sometimes when you are close to someone you expect that they are able to read your mind and should know what you want. It is sometimes hard to talk about the things that make you upset and angry.
- The intensity of your feeling can be scary and confusing – but if you deny them then resentment can build up.
What can happen
Your boyfriend, girlfriend or partner might not feel like they can stick around and you might find yourself alone.
You might worry about how your partner will react to problems in your family, and increased demands on your time.
Your partner has a choice to be there with you so remember that. If they are there looking after you – then let them.
If you are worried that your partner is just with you because they feel sorry for you, then talk about it. In any relationship you need to be open and honest. And after talking about it, that will be one less thing to worry about.
Talk about everyday things
- Do something special for each other and plan time to be together
- Find ways to get your partner involved as they may be feeling helpless
- Being able to laugh and cry together is what it is all about
Remember: even if you are completely absorbed in your own world right now, you are not going through it alone and you are not the only person affected by it.
Email this page
Please choose a group
You can personalise Now What so that you can find information that is relevant to your group easily and quickly.
By selecting a group below that best describes your situation or interests, you will see related content like information fact sheets and other peoples stories that are relevant to your situation.